Friday, August 14, 2009

Why Tylenol is My Worst Nightmare...

I can't swallow pills.

Seriously. I haven't been able to swallow a pill in years and years. I get the pill on my tongue, and my throat starts acting like an iron vice. It's a pain, since I've been forced to take liquid tylenol (which tastes like rotten cherries) for near a decade now.

So, today I am at the grocery store and I see this little box of tylenol on sale. It promises to be an EZ tab...easy to swallow due to its peculiar shape and sweet coating. "Great! Finally something to help me manage to swallow a pill and toss the liquid junk," I think.

Yah. I haven't had to actually take any tylenol as of yet...so, the final verdict isn't in.

I have, however, spent some time researching different methods for swallowing pills. (Which is incredibly nerdy and something only a die-hard researcher and over-achiever like myself would do. I am well aware.) Turns out tips for swallowing pills are a dime a dozen.

One lady recommended practicing beforehand using "pill-like" foods. Smarties...M&Ms...etc. I love Smarties and M&M's, so I really don't want to ruin my love of them by pretending they are pills. I decided to use peas....cooked peas, of course. I used them in a dish tonight for dinner....I didn't just randomly decide to cook up a bag of frozen peas. :)

Anywho. I think I may have found my method. I put the "pill" on the middle of my tongue. I furiously sip a juice drink through a straw while tucking my chin down. And the pea is swallowed whole. I hope this transfers to pills. And, yes. I just blogged about my trouble with swallowing pills. Does anyone else share this problem? Any suggestions for how to break the problem? And that, readers, is why Tylenol is my worst enemy.

No comments: